Re: [F_minor] the key of f minor for most of a recital!

Back in October 2006 I wrote:
Not directly related to Gould, but I thought this was interesting. There has been a release of the piano recital that John Browning gave on the same day that John F Kennedy died. He changed whatever the original program had printed, and announced his music from the stage as he went along. Almost every piece, for this whole recital, was in either F minor or B-flat minor!

http://www.amazon.com/John-Browning-Vol-I/dp/B000BDH55E

I'd like to report now: I went ahead and bought it, and it's terrific. Beautiful playing, and a solemn sense of occasion. Browning gave a little speech at the beginning, asking that there be no applause for the entire recital *or* at the end (shades of Gould?!).

He also had the audience stand in reverence for the first piece, in honor of Kennedy, and that first piece was the Bach-Busoni transcription of "Ich ruf zu dir".

The recorded sound isn't great, and a couple of minutes are missing during one of the Chopin mazurkas -- the package claims there was irreparable tape damage. But the magic of the playing comes through all this...and the whole recital is indeed in F minor, or closely related keys to that.

Browning was just 30 at the time. The recital was in Williamsburg VA. It doesn't say what the original program was to have been, scheduled ahead for that evening. For being short-notice selections, and the overall grief of the occasion, he played almost perfectly and with excellent concentration.