Re: [F_minor] Gould in Calgary, 1959

Hi Mathew

We did find lots of info about the 1952 recital which was part of an early
Western Canada tour (with his mom!).  And, we'd have given up on the Feb 2
1959 date if it weren't for a couple reputable individuals who claim they
were there.  Again, it's the program we're interested in more than
anything.

Kind regards

Julie

             Matthew Harding
             <matthew.harding@
             ktlgroup.ca>                                               To
                                       jwright@honens.com
             04/03/2007 03:42                                           cc
             PM                        f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [F_minor] Gould in Calgary,
                                       1959

Hello Julie. I have listed that Glenn played Feb.2 1959 at Calgary,
but I have no details of the programme.

I also have listed that Glenn played January 31, 1959 in Edmonton
(perhaps in the Jubilee Auditorium), but yet strangely, I do not have
any notes as to that particular program either.

It is highly likely that he did not actually play those recitals - by
1959 he was well prone to cancelling engagements due to illness
(perceived or otherwise).

Sorry I could not provide a definitive answer - can anyone else chime
in?

Incidentally, Glenn did play one time only in Calgary, at a recital
at the Calgary United Church on Nov.7 1951, for the Calgary Women's
Musical Club, with quite a busy programme:

Bach's partita no.5, Beethoven's Variation Op.34, Piano Sonatas Op.
81A, Czerny Variations on a theme by Rode, Brahms Intermezzo Op.117
No.3, Op.118 No.2, Hindemith Piano Sonata No.3, Beethoven bagatelle
(encore), Scarlatti Sonatas in F minor and Schoenberg piano pieces Op.
1 (miniature) as encores.

Hope this helps!
Matthew