To: <f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 6:41 AM
Subject: [F_minor] autobiographical statement (source?)

Hi everyone,

I am now working for a new Japanese edition
of _Glenn Gould, Music and Mind_ by the late Geoffrey Payzant,
and checking the content.

I am looking for the souce of the following passage:

"In 1975 he [Glenn Gould] volunteered the information that _The Solitude Trilogy_ is an autobiographical statement, or at least that it is as close to an autobiographical statement as he expects ever to come on radio."
Geoffrey Payzant, _Glenn Gould, Music and Mind_ (Toronto: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1978), p.139 (footnote).

There is no note for the footnote by Payzant, so the 1975 source where GG claimed that
his _Solitude Trilogy_ was autobiographical cannot be identified.

Gould's texts published in 1975 are:
"Glenn Gould Talks Back"(_Toronto Star_ Feb.15, 1975)
"Krenek,...Ernst Who?."(Toronto _Globe and Mail_, July 19, 1975)
"The Grass Is Always Greener in the Outtakes"
(High Fidelity, 25, August 1975).

I don't find any related passages in these texts.

Perhaps an article written in 1975 by someone else quoted
Gould's comment.  Does anyone of you happen to know?

As far as I know, the following discourse shows
that the documentaries are autobiographical:

"g.g.: [...] After all, you did create "The Idea of North" as a metaphoric comment and not as a factual documentary.
G.G.: That's quite true. Of course, most of the documentaries have dealt with isolated situations--Arctic outposts, Newfoundland outposts, Menno- nite enclaves, and so on. g.g.:Yes, but they've dealt with a community in isolation.
G.G.: That's because my magnum opus is still several drawing boards away. g.g.: So they are autobiographical drafts?
G.G.: That, sir, is not for me to say."
"Glenn Gould Interviews Glenn Gould about Glenn Gould,"
in Tim Page, ed., _The Glenn Gould Reader_ (New York: Knopf, 1983), pp.325-6.

Do you think _this_ is the very source for the reference?
It appeared in _High Fidelity_ vol.24, no.2 (February 1974),
and, in fact, Payzant make a reference to the same text
in the book.

So, if any one of you identify the source of
Payzant's reference on Gould's "biographical statement,"
please let me know.  I would be grateful.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Junichi

P.S. Recently, I took a Ph.D. on my Gould studies at the University of Tokyo.
Thank you for all the f_minor people who helped me
to understand Gouldian texts and share various ideas.