Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:56:35 -0500
From: "Robert Merkin" <bobmerk@earthlink.net>
Subject: [F_minor] there weren't no humming to begin with [was:] Re:
Zenph 55 G'bergs released! (Brad Lehman)
To: "F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU" <F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU>

from a wholly unexpected and thoroughly delightful e-mail from John Q. Walker, Ph.D., of Zenph Studios, who must be lurking on or near f_minor ...
=========
For better or worse, there's essentially no humming in the 1955 GV. He was young and a little more under control - as he got more artistic freedom with the label, it seems he hummed more.
Lorne Tulk, his CBC producer and good friend for many years, has assured us that he did not want the humming in the recordings, and that they tried all kinds of things to baffle/filter it at the time. In fact, as Lorne says, "if Glenn had had our technology, he would have used it in a second!"
Our first contract is with Sony, for 18 albums - half classical and half jazz. The discussions so far have all been on mono albums, since the sonic improvement is the "widest" for most people. We're in the midst of an Art Tatum album, then Rachmaninoff is next.
With respect to Gould, I've been arguing for the 2/3-part inventions album, with the famous (and irritating) piano hiccup. Just the kind of thing that's ideal for us to fix. But, alas, it's in stereo already, so a little further down the list.
An excellent set of press conferences this morning here in NYC - played the piano live, played the new surround and binaural, and even played the original - a feast for the ears of the reviewers and critics.
- John Q.