[F_minor] GG miming??

Good morning, F-Minor

  "Neil" <neil@thump.org>  wrote :-

              BTW in all the Joyce Hatto scandal
traffic on usenet the imfamous Tom
              Deacon of 'Great Pianists' fame
suggested the the GG Film of the Goldbergs
              were mimed. I'm certain this is total
crap but has anyone else heard that ?
              Mr Deacon is an odd fellow.

I've never heard that. I've watched the Goldbergs film
often enough, and never thought
he was deliberately miming anything! What did occur to
me, however, was that as
Monsaingeon wished to make a visual record of GG 's
second  studio version of the
Goldbergs, he must have filmed every session - that
is, he must have filmed each
version of each variation that Gould worked on (and as
we know, he would make
several versions of each before chosing the one that
he felt best represented his intentions).
 Could it be that just as Gould chose and edited the
audio tracks, so Monsaingeon chose
and edited the visual images to produce the effects he
wanted?Obviously  he did nothing
drastic:  but for example, we might  hear Gould
playing a particular variation, but the  accompanying
visual shots are taken from a different "version" of
that variation.
 (This would have worked with long shots, or shots of
Gould's face, I guess, but  maybe not with
close-ups of his hands on the keyboard. )
Gould would not have disapproved of this sort of
editing; it would have been consistent
with his idea of the importance of  "take two-ness",
surely.But could it possibly be the reason
 why some critics might get the feeling he was
"miming"?

Kate