Re: [F_minor] Glenn Gould's home etc.

What a terrific day - and treat! Exactly what I'd do if I had the opportunity. Nice going.

At 06:58 PM 1/18/2007, Gregory J. Goostray wrote:
Was in Toronto this past Tuesday. Bitterly cold. Had a few free hours in the afternoon and leased a private car from Prestige Limo with a great Austrian driver (Gerhardt-gd knowledge of music, Mr. Gould, and Toronto architecture) for a tour around town of Glenn's haunts. He put in my CD of the 1955 Goldberg's turned up the volume and we headed off to 32 Southwood. Slight wear and tear around the edges but the place looked like it was holding up fine. Also visited 110 St Clair (apt available in the building) and the adjacent Glenn Gould park just as Glenn's voice came over the traffic noise (studio outtakes as bonus tracks) and lent a transcendental gesture to the trip. Finished up at Glenn Gould Studio and statue at 250 Front St. and was able to peer in at the piano through a window at Roy Thompson Hall. Had a quick late lunch at Fran's (too modern but decent eggs) on Victoria across from the shabby Massey Hall box office. An intimate tour of heartfelt connections highly recommended for any lifelong fans. -GJG