[F_minor] Bach in the morning

Morning all....on my way to work in the car this morning I had the great joy to hear a small selection from Bach: The Three Sonatas for Viola da Gamba with Leonard Rose on Cello.  I had the chance just to sit and listen very intently and my impressions were that first of all no one plays like this anymore.  The piano (sounded like the Steinway) was perfectly tuned as was the cello.  These two great guys played as if in unison or as if they had practiced the articulation of the counterpoint for a month.  I doubt that they actually had to practice that hard but the synchrony was very tight.  The inner voices that Gould brought were as usual crystal clear without being overwhelming but clearly present in your awareness in ways that most players do not know how to reveal.  What I mean is that lots of other pianists know what a "voice" is but they don't seem to know what to do with it: Gould succeeds because he had a profound insight into the context of voices and in particular supporting lines that could have just as well passed unnoticed under the radar.  Nothing in his music ever escaped hard scrutiny and that is what makes his playing so rewarding.  His critics do not ever give him enough slack or appreciation for what he is pointing our attention at.  It is never just enough to play the notes: Gould understood that there were hidden elements that once held up would only create depth, create more meaning.  [A sensitive artist like Wilhelm Kempf was able to show inner lines of meaning especially in his Beethoven and Schuman.]  This Gould/Rose recording is wonderful and a must buy from what I hear.

Cheers,

Fred Houpt
Toronto

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite.
Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.