From: "Cline, Eric" <Eric.Cline@reichhold.com>
To: F_MINOR@email.rutgers.edu
Subject: RE: [F_minor] RE: Key associations.
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:14:03 -0400

There is a 'condition' in which certain musical keys or pitches cause the
listener to perceive color.

In my case since I was a child certain musical notes and even musical keys
have caused me to 'feel' and 'see' color. I can't explain it more than this.
I guess you just have to experience it. I perceive B-flat major as a pastel
blue, c# minor as black. E-flat major as dark green, E major as bright
green, D major as bright red, A major as dark red, f minor as light grey, G
major as yellow etc.

I found out recently this is called synesthesia (not sure about the
spelling). This is when one sense is perceived as another. An example might
be that a color causes perception as an odor or taste. There are many
possible combinations.

I wonder if this is what the critic who reviewed the first performance of
Tschaikowsky's violin concerto meant when he wrote that the concerto
actually had a bad odor !! - I digress.

I heard about synesthesia when I saw the film 'Music from the Inside Out'
which is about the Philadelphia Orchestra. IIRC one of the musicians, a
violist I think told about how she would get headaches as a child. Some
headaches were a 'blue' headache.  I realized I do the same thing with a
different combination of senses. It is not unpleasant for me like her
headaches though. I was surprised when I was a teenager that other people
didn't experience the same thing as I did. I was also surprised to find out
that others didn't have perfect pitch either - another story though.

Eric Cline
Sr. Synthesis Chemist
Reichhold, Inc
P.O. Box 13582
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
USA
Toll Free:       +1 800 448 3482
Office Phone: +1 919 990 8116
Fax:              +1 919 767 8506