Re: [F_minor] Gould Item Theft

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "DJ Were-Panda" <vnvlain@gmail.com>
> To: "F-minor" <f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
> Subject: Re: [F_minor] Gould Item Theft
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:46:38 -0400

> now that is one die hard fan...

 Re the theft of Glenn Gould papers and memorabilia, one of the news items mentioned:
 " Another item offered for sale was a handwritten page that "depicted various tracks for a composition
   composed of sounds in nature such as gulls, wind and sea," Ms. Kushner said. The estimated value was
   $5,000 to $6,000 U.S. "

Now, this sounds, to me , rather un-Gouldian, since GG evidently  preferred highly structured  music. Perhaps these sounds of nature were
used in the Solitude Trilogy, along with the contrapuntal voices? If not, does anyone know  what this composition was? Did Gould intend to
produce a work consisting of, or including, such sounds from nature?

In any case, it is good that the stolen items have been recovered, both the papers .... and the personal items such as the hat and gloves.  At
the risk of being accused of being both trivial and sentimental  (characteristics that perhaps would have made Gould himself wince) I would
love to see these myself!

And re the other thread about Frans, the diner that GG used: Yes, it closed I think in  2001. Along with F-minor member Anne Marble, I
visited in July that year, and someone commented that it closed shortly afterwards, so perhaps we were the last F-Minors to eat there.  Since
we had no details of what dishes Gould actually ordered we chose scrambled eggs, said to be a particular favourite of his. I do not remember
seeing any "hungarian soup" on the menu. (We _were_  offered "English style fish and chips" however, which I declined on the grounds
that I hadn't flown 3500 miles to eat something I could buy round the corner at home.)

Apparently however tha Frans diner in College Street remained open after the St Clair West outlet closed. Although Gould may not have
dined there, I have read that since it was not far from the Eaton Auditorium, and since it was open 24 hours, he and the recording
technicians used to send out to them  for hot coffee , to sustain them during the wee small hours of the morning!

Kate

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake
in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may
act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. "
T. E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"   +++++++++++ +++++++++