Re: [F_MINOR] O/T ... a misuse of music?

Actually, I read years ago that shopping malls in the US were using
classical music for the same reasons. I also seem to remember that there was
a lawsuit involving some black youths who claimed in their suit that the
tactic was racist and was a violation of their civil rights. For some
reason, I am thinking this happened in Buffalo, NY where I grew up. I have
no idea where the lawsuit went.

Everytime I go to a shopping mall and hear classical music in the
background, I wonder if this is to keep the "loitering" youths away. I agree
what a shame. I have been a devoted classical music lover since I was four
years old. I grew up on Glenn Gould. True story: I used to take one of his
LP's to Kindergarten with me every day - It was his recording of Beethoven
Sonatas 8, 14 and 23. Classical music has enriched my life beyond what words
can describe. It has given me a deeper appreciation of other art forms as
well, and taught me to be creative in a wide variety of areas in my life. I
can't think of a type of music that [unless it is that assinine White
Supremacist Rock music, like "Prussian Blue".] , when played quitely in the
background, would drive me away. I agree this is so sad. I wonder what is
says about our civilization....

Eric Cline
Group Leader in Charge of
Irrelevant Decisions