[F_MINOR] Rootkit V. Music kit -- Sony in the news

Glenn Gould's record label, Sony, is in trouble for their misguided attempts to maintain tight control over what consumers can do with the music on the CDs they purchase.  Although no Gould CD seems to contain the infamous "rootkit" software, I think it's an issue that's certainly relevant to his hopes for the music industry.  If Sony has their way, there will be no music kit for Christmas, Cynthia.
What is on the Sony CDs? http://news.com.com/FAQ+Sonys+rootkit+CDs/2100-1029_3-5946760.html

The CDs involved are loaded with a relatively new kind of content protection created by British company

Like most computing tools, this is not intrinsically a bad thing, but can be abused. Virus writers use these tools to help take over computers and hide the presence of their work.

Within hours of this news hitting the net, of course people did indeed create exploits (trojan horse viruses!) that used the Sony software to install and mask themselves on PCs.  (Macs were affected by different Sony technology) Ah the hubris! Lawsuits against Sony BMG have begun to pop up around the world.

Equally odd is the End User License Agreement (EULA)-- that's the legal document we all have to agree to when we install new software but we never read.  When you insert one of the Sony CDs, the EULA pops up and this, they argue, means that you've agreed to install the rootkit, what amounts to spyware, on your computer.  The agreement has all kinds of silly things you agree to, including not using the music for your own purposes for slideshows, mixes (mashups) etc.  Musickitting is illegal in this contract evidently. This is a description from the Electronic Frontier Foundation of what is in the EULA with a link to the actual document:
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004145.php

A list from the EFF of some of the infected CDs (watch out Neil Diamond/Rick Rubin fans!):
http://news.com.com/Are+these+the+Sony+rootkit+CDs/2100-1029_3-5944549.html

Microsoft decided to release a SECURITY update to disable the Sony software: http://news.com.com/Microsoft+will+wipe+Sonys+rootkit/2100-1002_3-5949041.html

I'm more concerned that Sony actually thought this was a good idea than I am over the bird flu, but found this comment about the issue from the Bush Administration's Homeland Security assistant secretary for policy, Stewart Baker, interesting:

"I wanted to raise one point of caution as we go forward, because we are also responsible for maintaining the security of the information infrastructure of the United States and making sure peoples' [and] businesses' computers are secure. ... There's been a lot of publicity recently about tactics used in pursuing protection for music and DVD CDs in which questions have been raised about whether the protection measures install hidden files on peoples' computers that even the system administrators can’t find."

In a remark clearly aimed directly at Sony and other labels, Stewart continued: "It's very important to remember that it's your intellectual property -- it's not your computer. And in the pursuit of protection of intellectual property, it's important not to defeat or undermine the security measures that people need to adopt in these days.

"If we have an avian flu outbreak here and it is even half as bad as the 1918 flu, we will be enormously dependent on being able to get remote access for a large number of people, and keeping the infrastructure functioning is going to be a matter of life and death and we take it very seriously."

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface

F_minor Website