Re: [F_MINOR] practicing, and a threadjack

On October 19, 2005, Bill Larson wrote:

l Larson

> P.S.-- I'm wondering about the sound quality of some of these
> grey-market cd's on the H&B site recently mentioned-- has anyone heard
> the Concertgabouw Bach D minor, or the Balt. Symphony Brahms D minor?
> Are they both in decent stereo?

The Brahms D minor is not at all bad. It was miked at quite a distance but you can hear everything very clearly. It is stereo. The performance is very fast, quite unlike the famous Bernstein. He goes nuts in the slow movement, that's distinctly odd! Infact its bizarre to hear all the standard virtuoso stunts like furious octaves from Glenn. shame the orchestra and conductor were not better.

I'm trying to find a decent copy of the Beethoven 3rd with Karajan (Berlin debut). while it takes time to warm up and for Glenn to slip out of best behaviour mode playing, the last movement absolutely fizzes. No wonder Berlin were so amazed by him.

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn