Re: [F_MINOR] practicing, and a threadjack

Bill Larson <wwlarson@JUNO.COM> wrote:
Maurice lussier wrote:
Does anyone know If Gould produced sound using primarily weight, or was it primarily fingers?

I would guess fingers, as it's very hard to employ any productive amount of arm weight from such a low seat.

Well, maybe 'fingers' and 'weight' are not all the possible options: there is also what you could call 'expansion through the arms', which is not weight=gravity but something more active, but much 'upstream' than fingerwork
Also, I found that it's 'dangerous' to speak of 'fingers' because thinking in terms of fingers induces to undervalue the role of the rest of the apparatus (upstream).

BTW for (not only) pianists: interesting the distinction between 'contracting' and 'expanding' postural conditions you find in Harold Taylor's 'The Pianist's Talent'.

P.S.-- I'm wondering about the sound quality of some of these grey-market cd's on the H&B site recently mentioned-- has anyone heard the Concertgabouw Bach D minor, or the Balt. Symphony Brahms D minor?  Are they both in decent stereo?

I have Bach D-minor on a Nuova Era cd: the sound is mono but with decent clarity.

I was always silent... HI TO ALL!

Livio (Verona, Italy)

Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi, antispam, antivirus, POP3
Signoff instructions, and user preference interface

F_minor Website