Re: [F_MINOR] Colorized Music Rides Again!

Robert wrote:

>This Has All Happened Once Before Long Ago... This has all happened before...
The Old Boffin Rides Again!

I'm sorry if you thought this article contained nothing new. I did - but
then, I've been inundated with spam lately and haven't given as much
attention to my email as perhaps I should.

What was new to me from this article was the idea that maybe someday we
might figure out enough of Gould's playing style to have "him" play
something different - and I have always regretted that he didn't do
Beethoven's Diabelli Variations. To me, projecting how Gould might have
played it is a harmless pastime that might yield interesting results.

I belong to a Beethoven list group, and there was speculation once that
maybe someday a computer could write the 33rd Piano Sonata. After all,
Beethoven's music has this compelling inner logic, right? If enough
musicologists explained enough to the computer how his music works...but
then we don't REALLY know how it works, do we, or we could make it on demand
ourselves.

But I think the chances of being able to mimic someone's playing style are
somewhat better. Because all the thinking and feeling that a musician does
about music must finally translate into the mechanics of pressure and
attack, and not into notes on a page.

> I, too, have heard magical Colorized Music from the Spirit World,
> ivory-tickling from those who have -- what's that phrase? Taken The A Train,
> Gotten Off at The Better Place.

We all have. Every time we listen to any recording of any dead person. You
don't think the music was EQ'd (i.e.. "Colorized")? And to me just the idea
of recorded music is still magic. From the Spirit World.

Again, sorry if you thought this was a repeat. Maybe it is.

Annie Moore

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn