[F_MINOR] GG: OT: Anyone Lost a Concert Pianist?

I'm sending this for Kate because she is still having e-mail troubles. She
can be reached at goldbergs@btinternet.com and at appassionata3@lycos.com.

This really has nothing to do with GG but since the people on this list are
interested in piano music, they might find it a curious story!

News bulletins on British TV today have been full of the story of an
unidentified man found by the police wondering on the seafront at
Sheerness, in Kent, around a month ago. He was wearing a soaking wet formal
black suit and tie, and seemed disorientated. Since he was found, he has
not given his
name; in fact he has not spoken a single word. He presumably is suffering
from amnesia. In an attempt to get him tp communicate, he was given a
pencil and paper in the hope he might write his name.Instead. he drew a
detailed picture of a grand piano. Baffled, the social workers and doctors
took him
to the hospital chapel, where there was a piano; and to their amazement,
but still without speaking, the man sat down at the piano and treated to
them to what they described as a 2-hour virtuoso recital of classical
music. Since then, he has played often on the piano, for hours at a time
but curiously,
the medical staff seem not to have called in any musical expert to identify
what he is playing or to comment on his ability (One TV report simply said
it all sounded "classical" and that he appeared likely he was a
professional pianist.

The doctors report he is extremely nervous and becomes distressed if anyone
goes near him, and is only relaxed and at ease when playing the piano. They
suggest he must have suffered some great trauma, or some kind of total
mental breakdown. (I must admit that the idea of autism crossed my mind, in
view of his inability or refusal to communicate) The police are baffled and
have asked for the public to help identify the man, with no success so far.
They think he is British, on what basis I do not know; apparently all the
labels were found to be cut off his clothing! Oddly. some early reports
seemed to suggest that people recognised him as someone they had heard
giving recitals on the Continent, but they still could not name him! (Seems
very odd, that.) PPolice are at present contacting European orchestras to
see if anyone knows of a classical pianist, tall, thin, aged around late
twenties - thirties who has gone missing.

His socail worker has been quoted as saying sadly that maybe he will never
be identified. But if he really plays as well as they say, he must have
studied somewhere and someone should recognise him. If its some kind of a
hoax, it seems peculiar and pointless.

So: Is anyone out there missing one young classical pianist?

------
Anne M. Marble
My Blog: http://gorokandwulf.blogspot.com/
My Column: http://www.writing-world.com/columns/romance/current.shtml
Forward Motion Writing Site: http://fmwriters.com

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn