Re: [F_MINOR] GG: Ten Things I Learned from Glenn Gould

Lainaus "Anne M. Marble" <amarble@SFF.NET>:

> I thought of this idea while at the bookstore and while driving home.
> Luckily, I didn't run over anybody. I did see what could have been a
> gray
> fox while driving home, though. either that or an alien dog, a really
> really really tall cat, or a scrawny coyote/fox/hyena hybrid with pointy
> ears.
>
> Ten Things I Learned from Glenn Gould
>
> 1) It's OK to hum if you feel like it!
>
> 2) Go ahead and sing, even if nobody else likes the sound of your voice.
>
> 3) You can teach important lessons with humor. It's even better if it's
> offbeat humor, because then people will talk about it longer.
>
> 4) Sometimes you have to ignore the experts and do it your way.
>
> 5) Even rainy days and cloud-covered skys can be gorgeous.
>
> 6) There's nothing wrong with having a favorite shirt, even if it's worn
> and wrinkled.
>
> 7) It's a good idea to get away to the countryside for a while. Besides,
> when you go back to your apartment, your favorite diner will
> still be there.
>
> 8) Find your bliss wherever you can, whether it's in the works of Bach
> or
> in a Petula Clark song. Or in an episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
>
> 9) Always keep a hat, scarf, and gloves nearby. You never know when
> you'll
> need them, and you'll look really neat in photographs.
>
> 10) Take risks. The critics may hate it now, but someday, people will
> realize you were right all along. ;-)
>

> Any one have other suggestions or additins for the lists?
>
> ------
> Anne M. Marble

About your item 5), if you really want to go Gouldian, it should read "even
sunny days and clear sky can be gorgeous".

One item that I'd like to add is this:

11) Go North, my son!

Here's another one, though I don't know if it really is that general:

12) Everything that can be taught about X can be taught in 30 minutes.

And possibly this:

13) There's nothing wrong about having a favorite chair, even if it is
barely sit-down-able.

anssi korhonen

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn