Re: [F_MINOR] Bach D minor concerto

Yo Bill Larson, et omnes,

I tossed your query to my Audio Engineer / Sound Recording Engineer Pal,
who actually Knows Stuff. His top-tier career began in the Analog Age of
Vinyl, though a bit after the end of the Mono Era.

He previously contributed to f_minor with a post from his Toronto sister,
about the CBC GG studio recording, from which the barely audible
announcers' play-by-play of a nearby Leafs hockey game could not be
isolated and removed -- so the CBC released the recording with the
play-by-play commentary, and in the liner notes, the date, visiting team's
name, and final score of the game.

Here is his reply:

===================

To be compatible with mono, some stereo formats (e.g.: FM stereo, vinyl
disks) use M/S, not left/right encoding. (The "M" and "S" refer to "mid"
and "side", not "mono" and "stereo." An equally valid description is "sum"
and "difference.") The groove on a mono vinyl disk is symmetrical: the
wiggles represent the "mid", "sum", or monaural waveform. The groove on a
stereo vinyl disk is asymmetrical, including the additional "side" or
"difference" signal. The wiggling now includes a rotational component.
(Does asymmetrical rotational wiggling have anything to do with the answer
to your doggie-style question?) Considering where (or when) in the
performance the signal appears to change to stereo, it's possible there's a
spiraling groove on the disk: the groove pitch is intentionally coarser --
the grooves are farther apart -- to permit visual cueing. Adjusting the
cutting lathe's pitch may have mechanically altered the groove geometry so
the result sounds like stereo. Or maybe not. One of the mysteries of life.
As you've been known to say: "Free advice: worth every penny."

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn