Re: [F_MINOR] Glenn plays Liszt

Well, Brad, what do you think of the two respective recordings?  I just listened to the excerpt from the CBS site and it is fine indeed.  Hearing all the voices rendered in piano (and by Gould) is a wonderful way to appreciate this symphony.  And I agree with Fred:  I've heard the symphony enough in orchestral versions to last me for a long time.  Gould's playing here brings the music alive again and against the backdrop of Gould walking in the north woods brings out the programatic aspects of the music beautifully.  Which version do you suppose it is?  Thanks,  Dorian

At 01:40 PM 2/25/2005 -0500, fred.houpt@RBC.COM wrote:
>I've got the shivers.  CBC radio has put on Glen playing Beethoven's
>Symphony #6, first movement.

There are two recordings of that, by Gould.  One of them is on the Sony
52636 as filler for GG's recording of the fifth.  The other one, having the
complete symphony #6, was on Music &Arts 651.  That latter is from the
June 11th 1968 broadcast, and has excellent booklet notes by Kevin
Bazzana.  The Sony one, first movement only, was recorded six weeks later.

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface

F_minor Website