From: F_Minor [mailto:F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU] On Behalf Of DAVID KIRKPATRICK
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 2:24 PM
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Re: [F_MINOR] F_MINOR Digest - 27 Dec 2004 to 4 Jan 2005 (#2005-1)

Hi.  Drawing on my 1st grade arithmetic experience and the fact that
Beethoven's Op. 22 has four movements, I'm guessing that "inner movements"
refers unambiguously to the 2nd and 3rd movements -- and that it means the
equivalent to "middle movements".

I too have played piano since age 4, but have only reached grade 5 or
thereabouts in music, so I'm falling back on my mathematics background in
this case.  :-)

On a more serious note, I find this factoid about the two movements in a
vault interesting.  Of course, if movements 1 and 4 simply got lost, it's
not so interesting at all.  But if Glenn actually began recording the sonata
out of sequence -- or only liked the middle two movements -- that's
interesting indeed.  Is this an unusual thing in the sonata recording
industry -- to record out of sequence?  I'm reminded of one critic's opinion
(don't ask me who) that Haydn most excelled in minuets and finales, Mozart
in opening movements and Beethoven in slow movements.  And of the notion
that the emotional center of a piece is often in its literal center.  It
sounds like a typically Gouldian experiment to record a sonata or suite out
of sequence in order to get a new perspective on the music's emotional or
intellectual truth.  Some purists might call this particular type of new
perspective "a lie" -- but that charge arguably goes hand in hand with any
studio production.  An interesting aspect to this hypothetical controversy
is that we can imagine recording the Eroica Symphony Funeral March as a kind
of esthetic experiment and imagine the controversy that might result from
the revelation of this trickery.  Yet the composer who "buried" the funeral
episode in an "inner" movement is arguably guilty of the same order of
trickery as the performer / conductor.  I think the bottom line in Gould's
philosophy is that it is at least as valid to think of a performance as a
kind of composition (or meta-composition) as a kind of drama.

David