Re: [F_MINOR] A State of Wonder

Interestingly, the quote apears in the middle of a comic essay (well, in
GG's terms, anyhow!)

   "The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of
   adrenaline, but rather the lifelong construction of a state of
   wonder and serenity."
   ----- "Let's Ban Applause" The Glenn Gould Reader, page 246.

-MJ

barbara stagno wrote:

It's a perfectly reasonable question. The quote is Gould's and I forget
which of his writings it comes from (if I ever knew) but he wrote often on
the purpose and morality of art. It was one of his favorite topics. This
particular quote is one of his most often quoted statements, probably
because it is so powerful and beautiful.

************************************************** Signoff instructions, and user preference interface: http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn