Re: [F_MINOR] Drugging in the classical music world

Aren't bananas supposed to increase the production of serotonin in the
brain, so you feel good - whether or not you are calmed?

The trouble with beta-blockers is that (a) the calming effect is not so
noticeable if you take them regularly  -  once you are used to them  you
don't notice any effect until you either miss a dose or stop taking them,
when you start to feel rather nervy and jumpy; and (b) if you take them only
occasionally. for the calming effect, they can also do stuff like slowing
your reaction times. I seem to remember that some years ago they gave them
to racing divers as a trial, to see if they would banish pre-race tension;
they did, but the drivers felt their reactions were so slowed that  it could
in fact be dangerous, and they refused to take the pills  any longer.

 I know GG took atenolol (a beta-blocker) for raised blood-pressure; did he
ever comment on whether this drug had any effect on him emotionally? He did
once comment that he avoided anything that would  interfere with his ability
to think clearly, but that remark was made in reference to alcohol. In the
days when he gave concerts, did he ever swallow pills just before going on
stage? Somehow, I can't imagine him gobbling a  banana!

Kate  (who has had to take atenolol on prescription for years)

----------
>From: Brad Lehman <bpl@UMICH.EDU>
>To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
>Subject: Re: [F_MINOR] Drugging in the classical music world
>Date: Oct, 19, 2004, 5:06 pm
>

> I believe that the natural method is sufficient for me, and that is to eat
> a banana before going onstage.  There are allegations that bananas have
> some natural beta-blockers; and whether it's true or not (I personally
> don't know, one way or the other), whether it's placebo or not, it works
> for me and has done for years.  Plus, it's tasty and nutritious, "nature's
> perfect food", and it's relaxing to sit down for a few moments to eat
> it.  A good crisp banana on its prime day of ripeness.
>
> Brad Lehman
>

> At 11:49 AM 10/19/2004 -0400, Mary Jo Watts wrote:
>>Did I just hear GG from the grave urging "Dispense betablockers
>>forthwith!" -MJ
(snip)

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn