Re: [F_MINOR] The Fourth of October: In Memoriam

From: Kate Clunies-Ross <goldbergs@BTINTERNET.COM>

> I am sure everyone on the list realises today's date, but I would just
like
> to mark the 22nd anniversary of GG's passing.

Thank you for reminding us. 22 years! Sigh.

On a more positive note, I was trying to remember when I first heard a
Glenn Gould recording. I first heard about him when reading Thomas Harris'
"The Silence of the Lambs." Shortly after the book came out, I saw the
Goldbergs (the debut recording) in a store. The store also had several of
the GG videos, and I think I thought something like "Wow, there are even
videos of this care playing the piano!" Silence came out in 1988, so I
probably bought my first GG tape in 1988 or 1989.

Anybody else have unsual stories about how they first heard/heard of Glenn
Gould?

> He may have been with us for only a comparatively short time, but  his
gift
> of music  continues to  inspire and comfort us ;  to delight , puzzle,
and
> astound us. And the lifelong "state of wonder" he considered so important
is
> surely  still growing.

As the future of music and art changes, I wonder how many of GG's
predictions will come true, and which won't... And whether he is chortling
at the fact that people are wondering this. ;-)

------
Forward Motion Writing Site: http://www.fmwriters.com
My Blog: http://gorokandwulf.blogspot.com/
My Column: http://www.writing-world.com/columns/romance/current.shtml

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn