Re: [F_MINOR] GG: Die Kunst der Fuge (Part 589)

Art of Fugue is a truly amazing work that takes its place among the other
marvels of the natural world. Personally, it doesn't make me think of much
(except d minor!) but it does make me feel a range of overwhelming emotions
and a sense of spiritual communion.

Speaking of spiritual communion and polyphony, I thought this might be a
nice opportunity to share a radio program I heard last Sunday that can be
accessed from the website:
www.stpaulsunday.org

St. Paul Sunday is broadcast weekly from Minnesota via National Public
Radio. Last Sunday's program (Aug 1) featured a program of polyphonic choral
works that spins as beautiful a network of intertwining lines as any fugue.
If we need a link to GG, the program features 3 marvelous works of William
Byrd (a GG favorite) along with ethereal works by Palestrina and Tomas Luis
de Victoria. They are truly amazing works and worth taking the time to hear
them. To access the show, see the left hand column of the home page and
select August 2004 from the program catalog search field.

And while you're on the site you might want to check out the July 18 program
of Jon Kimura Parker, a brilliant Canadian pianist. (another, looser
perhaps, GG link). He gives a great performance of Beethoven's, op 2 #3 (or
is it op3, #2.... I forget) (C major, if that helps.) And just for sheer
fun, check out the fantasy on the Wizard of Oz. Definitely not serious
music, but lots of virtuosic fun. The most beautiful piano version of Over
the Rainbow I've heard, plus much more. It will definitely conjure up images
of the Wicked Witch of the West from your childhood.

Barbara