Re: [F_MINOR] Brahms #1

Title: RE: [F_MINOR] Brahms #1

You know Barbara,

Glenn still gets treated with disdain by journalists.  I read the BBC music mag each month and it's a good deal with the CD they provide as well.  On each occasion that one of their writers refers to Gould it's like they were talking about a freak.  I hate it and have complained in letters to them.  It is unfair and snotty and snobby.  I agree with your impressions.  Gould approached the somewhat stiff nature in Brahms with a loving but strongly probing mind.  He certainly knew full well the depth of Brahms technical prowess, being only second to Bach or Beethoven in architectural acumen and ability.  He loved the depth of Brahms musical lines and similar to his approach to Bach, he dug  out the inner textures, no matter that his approach was new.  Gould took too many lumps for his musical excavations (and extravagances) and received far too few plaudits for his discoveries.  I have argued before that Gould is easily misunderstood as a crank or maybe a nut.  In judging his interpretive foibles we miss his inner targets and these shed light and insights far beyond the scope of any contemporary.  It is here that I still revere his towering intellect and I forgive and allow his foibles in style.

regards,

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface

F_minor Website