Re: [F_MINOR] Legends and the people who love them

I wrote:
>>"The world of legend worship is
> patrolled
> >and inhabited by very sad people, almost all of
> them
> >men."  I have to wonder if the last part of the
> >sentence is fair.  Is the first part fair? Any
> >thoughts?

Brad answered:
> Corollary: of those men, many believe they have
> *captured* the legend by
> buying the right things for their collections...as
> if mere possession of
> the legendary object gives them complete license to
> pontificate about it,
> and complete mastery of related topics.  In music
> this leads to worship of
> the printed score, and the favoring of beloved
> recordings, as if either of
> those things (or both together) have captured the
> essence of the music.

If Yahoo groups are a true reflection of the real
world I would have to agree with much of what you
said.  It does seem to be mostly men who write in.
Men with very large music collections.
Well, those of us who love Glenn Gould can't be
accused of worshipping the printed score :-)

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn