Re: [F_MINOR] Legends and the people who love them

From: Nessie Russell <nessierussell@YAHOO.CA>

> I received the following on another list.  I thought
> perhaps it might generate some conversation on this
> list as well.  Some of us geared into the last
> sentence - "The world of legend worship is patrolled
> and inhabited by very sad people, almost all of them
> men."  I have to wonder if the last part of the
> sentence is fair.  Is the first part fair? Any
> thoughts?

I think some people are threatened by people who have "passions" -- whether
that passion is Glenn Gould or Richter or for that matter, Star Trek.
People still make jokes about Star Trek fans, science fiction fans, romance
fans. I think it makes people feel superior, although in my mind, it
usually makes them _look_ teeny tiny. ;-)

This reminds of  the woman who was one of the speakers at the Glenn Gould
Gathering in ... yeeeek, was it 1999?! Tamara Bernstein, I think. She
covered classical music or art or something for one of the tabloid-y
newspapers in Toronto.

In her article about the Gathering, she talked about being in a room full
of people who looked like they hadn't been laid in blankenty-blank years.
Sheesh! How schoolyard! Phhhhbbbbttt. :-P

------
Forward Motion Writing Site: http://www.fmwriters.com
My Blog: http://gorokandwulf.blogspot.com/
My Column: http://www.writing-world.com/romance/marble/current.shtml

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn