Re: [F_MINOR] Legends and the people who love them

At 01:55 PM 4/19/2004 -0400, Nessie Russell wrote:
I received the following on another list.  I thought
perhaps it might generate some conversation on this
list as well.  Some of us geared into the last
sentence - "The world of legend worship is patrolled
and inhabited by very sad people, almost all of them
men."  I have to wonder if the last part of the
sentence is fair.  Is the first part fair? Any
thoughts?

Corollary: of those men, many believe they have *captured* the legend by buying the right things for their collections...as if mere possession of the legendary object gives them complete license to pontificate about it, and complete mastery of related topics. In music this leads to worship of the printed score, and the favoring of beloved recordings, as if either of those things (or both together) have captured the essence of the music.

Brad Lehman

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn