[F_MINOR] Quote on GG

I asked about this quote eons ago and thought it would be fun to run it
past the group again.

In the Friederich biography, there's a quote from pianist Malcom Frager
that was repeated  on a BBC program (uhm, programme) about Glenn Gould.

It goes like this:
"If Glenn had managed, in his personal life, to just be a little bit less
of a genius, a little bit normal, I think he'd probably still be with us. I
mean, if he'd settled down, gotten married and had children, and had
something to think about besides himself, he probably would have -- it
could only have helped his playing, could have lent it greater warmth,
greater humanity. And I think to have a happy family life is _much_ more of
a challenge than to have a career."

Aaaargh! Sorry, I don't think that Glenn Gould would have become a "better"
musician by marrying and having kids. I think his playing was "just fine"
(to say the least!) as it was -- it had plenty of warmth and humanity. GG
didn't have to answer to Malcolm Frager, nor did he have to answer to Otto
Friederich or to Peter Ostwald. He answered to himself. If GG had lived a
more "normal" life, he would not have been the Glenn Gould we have come to
know. I don't think his output would have been the same -- it might have
been more (ugh) "typical." It would not have been "warmer."

Now don't get me wrong. I definitely agree that having a happy family life
is important and a _huge_ challenge. But it's not for everyone. And yes,
there are some artists who managed to have the happy home life and still
create great art. There are probably more of those than we realize. We
don't hear about them as often because they're staying home and playing
tiddlywinks with their kids instead of getting in trouble. ;-)

What would Malcolm Frager say about Emily Dickinson?! Or the Bronte
sisters? Even Dickens. :-O Besides, look at all the great musicians,
artists, and writers who marry and yet have _horrid_ family lives -- I
wonder how often that ends up hurting their art. If you doubt me, just look
at some of the books America's acclaimed modern novelists have written
during their turbulent middle years.

------
Anne M. Marble
Moderator of AARlist -- http://www.likesbooks.com/listserv.html
ATBF Columnist All About Romance -- http://www.likesbooks.com
Forward Motion Writing Site: http://www.fmwriters.com
My Blog: http://gorokandwulf.blogspot.com/
My Current Column:
http://www.writing-world.com/romance/marble/current.shtml
Glenn Gould: ""Prelude you say?  How many times would you like me to say
it?"

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn