Re: [F_MINOR] OT: Help! Anybody got any GOOD Xmas music?

I have but two Christmas CDs, my desert island one would be Cantate Domino, on Proprius label, catalogue PRCD 7762.  "This remarquable album - for many years appreciated for its exquisite sound quality in the recording of choral and solovoices - set a new standard in sound engineering" says the jacket.  And it is so true.  Recorded in 1976 in Stockholm using but two microphones and a tape deck.  It features organ, choral and solo soprano renditions of Cristmas carols. It has the perfect ratio of voices and ambiance. The Silent Night is to die for.  And Maria Weigenlied, sung by soprano Marianne Mellnas, instantly brings tears to my eyes *every* time I hear it, no matter what mood I'm in.  Very powerful album.

In second place, "Christmas with the Cambridge Singers", on Collegium Records, catalogue COLCD111.  A fine choir conducted by John Rutter, who also conducts the Turtle Creek Chorale in his Requiem on Reference Recordings RR-57CD (absolutely stunning too - but you did ask specifically for Christmas music).  The first half of the album is called "The Joy of Christmas" while the other half, more "quiet", is called "The Peace of Christmas". I discovered this album one day when I saw a Volvo commercial on television, it had such wonderful music, "O magnum mysterium" as it were, anyhow the Volvo PR person gave me the name of the album and it's been in my collection ever since.

These two albums are more of a "traditional" approach to carols, featuring little instrumentation and lots of voices.