Re: [F_MINOR] The Song Beneath the Ice + BWV 972 to 987

Jim,

Thanks for the information.

What specific connection with Gould did you find in the the novel?
Any Gouldian ideas on art, media etc. that Fiorito presents in the
narrative?

Another topic: does anyone know of a good recording of some (or all) of
the Bach concerti arrangements, BWV 972 to 987? Gould unfortunately only
did BWV 974, and the different harpsichord versions (Drefyss, Baumont
and Barchi) I've heard hasn't been that interesting. Or at least, I
believe they could be played more inspiringly (as Gould did).

Regards,
Jorgen

Ps. As to the question of "Pictures...", Horowitz's magnificent
accounts  -- esp. the last two movements -- will always be my first choices.
Nikolai Demidenko's rec. on Hyperion is an excellent modern version
(without any of Horowitz's additions, which I like:-)

Jim Morrison wrote:

Hi,

I read the book a few months ago and was very pleased with the first half of
it. The second half the end last few chapters were unexpected for me and
less than pleasing, but I'd certainly recommend the book to anyone who'd
read something about it and felt like it would be something they were
interested in. The book is kind of tricky in that there are a few narrative
voices interwoven throughout the text. Some of it in the form of journal
entries, some in transcribed audio tapes, other in plain old regular first
person.

Also, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition plays a significant role in the
novel. It's the work that the pianist is most famous for, ala Gould and the
Goldbergs.  I was constantly listening to Pictures during the time I was
reading the book.

And there's much more of the real Glenn Gould in this novel than in the
Loser.

Anything else I can help you with concerning the novel, just ask.

Jim