Re: [F_MINOR] The Song Beneath the Ice

From: Jean-Christophe Ponsero <ponserj2@YAHOO.FR>
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Re: [F_MINOR] The Song Beneath the Ice
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 01:36:53 +0100

Hi everybody

I allow myself to break in at this point because the
Pictures are one of my favourite piano works.

I would simply recommend a few interpretations:

* above all, Byron Janis, who is technically great,
inspired, always of superior taste, although like most
people he doesn't respect the written rhythm in the
Great Gate of Kiev.

*then Horowitz (who, by the way, would have been 100
years old this year), who "improved" the score by
doubling some octaves and even worse. The sound is a
bit crackling since it's from the 40s, but it is so
full of might!

*Then a few others: Brigitte Engerer and Ivo
Pogorelich, the latter being very slow and personal,
but it works somehow.

I hope you can listen to some of these and I would be
glad to hear some other opinions about this great
cycle.

Jean-Christophe

--- Peter Lyon <petermlyon@HOTMAIL.COM> a écrit : >

Hi there

Talking of the Horowitz centenery there is a stack of Columbia reissues in
digipack available similar to the Gould ones released last year. The most
interesting (to me) and most Gouldian in repertoire has Horowitz playing
sonatas by Scarlatti, Haydn, Mozart and Clementi. Very reasonably priced
too.
Re: Pictures. I have never heard Byron Janis in this work but I admire his
Chopin. I beieve there is a famous live recording by S. Richter from Sofia
in 1960 which is thought to be very good.

Regards

peter Lyon

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger