Re: [F_MINOR] The Song Beneath the Ice

From: Jim Morrison <jim_morrison@SPRYNET.COM>
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Re: [F_MINOR] The Song Beneath the Ice
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:22:10 -0500

Hi,

I read the book a few months ago and was very pleased with the first half
of
it. The second half the end last few chapters were unexpected for me and
less than pleasing, but I'd certainly recommend the book to anyone who'd
read something about it and felt like it would be something they were
interested in. The book is kind of tricky in that there are a few narrative
voices interwoven throughout the text. Some of it in the form of journal
entries, some in transcribed audio tapes, other in plain old regular first
person.

Also, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition plays a significant role in
the
novel. It's the work that the pianist is most famous for, ala Gould and the
Goldbergs.  I was constantly listening to Pictures during the time I was
reading the book.

And there's much more of the real Glenn Gould in this novel than in the
Loser.

Anything else I can help you with concerning the novel, just ask.

Jim

Dear Jim

I don't know of this book but can you recommend a version of Pictures At An
Exhibition? I don't think Gould played it.

Thanks

Peter Lyon