One of the best

Title: One of the best

I just wanted to quickly jump in to say that I recently bought GG's fabulous recording of Elizabethan composers.  I had never heard the entire album before, what with most of the people on CBC radio always playing Sellinger's Round.  The entire album is just incredible and well worth every penny.  I think what continually amazes me about Gould is his ability to articulate a sense of motion, of velocity, in a way that propels and underscores his insights in the contrapuntal lines.  This seems to me to be one of his key strengths, to highlight, sometimes in very bold strokes, what the lines are doing underneath the melody.  He brings them up into the light and you see so many strands on display.  There are other players who do this well but of course none has the overall facility that Gould was blessed with.  It is a great sad loss for us that this quirky guy did not record much more of this type of music from an era that he said he loved so much.  Very sad.

On a closing note (oh the pun here was not intended......) my brother took me out to see "Two Pianos, Four Hands" here in town as performed by the originators of the play.  We were both sky high, as they say, with happiness during and after the performance.  This is as good as plays get.  These guys are gems (and Canadian!!!!) and if you ever have a chance to see this, don't pass up the opportunity.  For anyone who has had piano lessons, you'll be laughing harder than everyone else.  These guys hit every single image of what it's like to try and master the instrument, in the most humorous manner possible.  Glen would have been pleased.  Or, so I would like to think.

Regards to all,

Fred Houpt

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.