Re: Gould's Mozart Piano Concerto no. 24 in C minor, K. 491

In a message dated 7/5/2003 7:38:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, Govincevo@AOL.COM writes:

I'm glad someone's commented on this recording.  It's a great performance.  If Glenn has added a little something to the left hand, it has made the piece even more interesting.  I am no expert on music or Mozart, so wasn't aware of Gould's additions when I first heard the piece, I just thought it was a wonderful performance.  If Gould has added anything, it simply makes the piece that much more interesting.  There are none of the weird idiosyncracies in tempo which Gould is often known for. The cadenza at the end of the 1st movement is simply amazing.  It sounds very 'Gouldian', contrapuntal in an un-Mozartian fashion, but perfect.  If a concerto is, as Gould would later characterize it, a 'contest' between the orchestra and the soloist, a sort of competition, then in this instance, Gould won hands down.  The orchestra must have looked on in amazement until it was their turn to re-enter.  Actually, it was a great performance all the way around.  I thought the cadenze was Gould's but I have since heard otherwise.  Dorian

I recently purchased the Glenn Gould Edition recording of the C-minor concerto of Mozart. I think it's a terrific recording, although purists might feel different due to the "heavy" left hand. My question is, who's cadenza did Gould play in the 1st movement of the C-minor concerto? The cadenza doesn't seem like anything remotely Mozart, i found it very virtuosic and it's over two and a half minutes long. Un-Mozart indeed.