Competition.

Glenn Gould won top prize at the first Kiwanis Music Festival in Toronto.  He was only a child.  I don't think he ever competed in any of the major piano competitions.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I know he was opposed to competition.  The latest Glenn Gould magazine has an good article about his feelings.

He was a successful musician without this agony.  I know young pianists think winning a major competition will jump start their careers.  I wonder - do they really need this aggravation?  There has to be a better way.  Is there such a thing as a fair contest?  Can music be judged?  Should it be judged like this?

Lim Dong-hyek refused to accept his third prize and the money which went with it at the Queen Elizabeth Music Competition in Brussels. I have to wonder why people enter these contests.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2003/06/11/20030611007
2.asp

Miffed Korean pianist refuses prize

A young Korean pianist competing at a prestigious international music
competition cried foul yesterday and gave up his third-place award in
protest.

Lim Dong-hyek, 18, rejected the jury decision at the Queen Elisabeth
Music Competition in Brussels because he felt his performances
throughout the month-long competition were demonstrably better than
those given by the second-place winner, Shen Wen-Yu, 16, from
China. Severin von Eckardstein, 25, from Germany, won first prize.