Re: A-hummm ...

Good morning, F minor

With reference to the recent thread about GG's  humming,  I came across this
short article from the UK Guardian, 30th May 2003 :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,966166,00.html

It includes an audio clip of Gould playing and humming, which I believe is
from the National Library archives; it appears to be an   outtake  from the
recording of the Bach sinfonias, but no doubt someone will tell me if I am
wrong there.

The article mentions Gould along with other classical pianists. It also
suggests that pianists tend to vocalise more as they get older; is this true
of Gould?  (not that he ever got to be very old, of course.)

Like many of the other people who have posted here, I am unashamedly
pro-humming!  The article asks : "should we be embarrassed? Surely not; it
[the humming]  is a sign that at the very heart of   great pianism is not
pure digital dexterity or intellectuality or showmanship, but a singing kind
of love. "

Kate