Re: Gould and Diabelli

actually, there is something very peculiar, or elusive about the gould repertoire. which might explain why he stuck with the eroica variations as opposed to the diabelli. ( and i am aware of all the lofty accolades re : the diabelli including von bulow's )    when you play the literature that gould specialized in, it's uplifting mentally and physically challenging. it's totally enjoyable along the way. ( i would probably exclude schoenberg here, but that's my fault. my mind simply can't enjoy the listening or playing journey here. my inadequacy i'm afraid-- maybe more years to grow will help .   but generally pieces like the goldberg, beethoven fourth ,  etc etc  are wonderful emotional and physical soul mates.  many of the great works,  i.e. schubert,  (  i'm ready for the responses !)   simply are not.   i don't know. this is just my opinion.   who knows.    but, maybe for the pianists out there, try the comparison over a few years and see what you think. it should be interesting.                                   michael

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Lyon
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 1:36 AM
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Gould and Diabelli

Hi there
Anybody know why Gould never tackled the Diabellis. Would have seemed
appropriate following his success with the Goldbergs. He did a good job with
the Eroicas. It was the venerable Martha Argerich who quit theWarsaw jury to
proclaim Pogorelich a genius. Whateverhappened to him? He was so brilliant
but since his wife died, nothing.Can a pianist be so dependant on a
pedagogue that without them they are in some way helpless?
Best wishes
Peter Lyon

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger