Re: Increasing standards of playing?

From: James Whiskeychan <ojibwa50@HOTMAIL.COM>
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Re: Increasing standards of playing?
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 15:19:23 -0400

I don't think you can take Gasping Gaspard as an indicator of any
kind of
standard.  Pieces fall in and out of favour.  It is quite likely that in
ten
years "everyone" will be playing something else.

"Gasping Gaspard"...heehee...I love it! Did you think that one up, or is it a common nickname for the piece among frustrated pianists?

I must admit I really love the "Ondine" and want to play it as soon as my
technique's up to par...but the other two movements have never appealed to
me in the slightest. I read that the piece was written for the express
purpose of being the most difficult piece ever, and I can believe it.
"Scarbo" in particular holds no aesthetic appeal for me; it sounds very
challenging, but not beautiful in the slightest and frankly not worth all
the trouble of learning it. I doubt I'll ever play it, even if and when I'm
able to.

BTW, just to link this back to Gould, did he ever play this piece, or any
Ravel for that matter? I can't think of a single Ravel recording by him. Nor
do I think he would have had any interest at all in playing a piece just
because it was known to be difficult. Impressing people with his technique
was really not important to him.

Cristalle

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail