Andrew Rangell

Anybody ever heard Andrew Rangell'a piano recordings? (Brad, that's your cue)

 I recently bought a couple of his discs "A recital of intimate works volumes one and two," released on Dorian in 1995 and 2000 and I am very impressed with them.  While not really sounding like Gould, there's a nice intensity, flow, originality and passion to his work that reminds me of Gould's Byrd/Gibbons/Sweelinck.  Of course, it helps matters that on these discs Rangell plays not only Scarlatti, Brahms, Scriabin, Messiaen, Bach/Petri, Froberger, but also Gibbons and Sweelinck!  Anybody heard his Goldbergs or Partitas?  They must be first rate.  While I'm not in the market for another set of Partitas or Goldbergs I may just have to get them.

Here's great qoute from Rangell on his recording: A recital of intimate works, volume one.

"Taken together, the pieces comprising this program bring to my mind an observation of Francis Bacon which I hope the listener will find apt: "There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
- Andrew Rangell"

Here's a link to Rangell's page at Dorian

http://www.dorian.com/newbig/dorian/dorrang.htm

Jim

PS:  I saw at amazon.ca that Bazzana has a new book about Gould coming out in September.  Anybody know more about it?  That should be excellant.  His book on Gould "The performer in the work" is a must read.