From: "Harding.Matthew" <Matthew.Harding@CIC.GC.CA>
To: <F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: Alchemist DVD

Hello to Eric, Marco, and anyone else interested in this DVD.

Allow me to say right away that if you have not seen this collection, you
MUST see it. It is probably the most important contribution to the GG video
collection that I have seen.

This DVD is a collection of 4 films entitled "Chemins de la musique"
(roughly translated as Musical Pathways, or Musical Roads) made by Glenn's
friend and collaborator, Bruno Monsaingeon, in 1974. Since it was made by
Bruno for "Clasart", and played in France, I do not believe Sony has the
rights to it. (Sony negotiated with a lot of people to buy the
non-CBS/Columbia material they didn't already have rights to, but that
doesn't automatically mean they have the rights to all material made after
1955). Anyway, I believe we have Bruno himself to thank as he has been
negotiating for some time to get this material released, finally EMI appears
to have picked it up (yay!!).

There are details on the individual programs on the GG NLC web site
(http://www.gould.nlc-bnc.ca/phase3/efilm.htm). But they do not do justice
to the amazing job Bruno did with Mr. Gould.

First of all, as opposed to the little fragments and snippets that comprise
the Sony GG Video collection, these are entire programs filmed by Bruno of
Glenn rehearsing, recording, editing, and thinking about music. But you can
sense in these videos a real cameraderie between GG and Bruno, a real
comfortableness and spontaneity (if I dare use that word) that shows in
their conversations (as opposed to the heavily scripted 1981 filming of the
Goldbergs, also done by Bruno).

Second, there is an AMAZING variety of material on these programs. From a
complete reading of the Berg Sonata, to recording and editing of the English
Suite #1, to some rehearsing of Glenn's Wagner transcription of the
Meistersinger prelude (Glenn pounding away on the keyboard, simultaneously
singing and talking to Bruno at the same time), to Webern, Schoenberg, and
finally a complete rendition of Bach's Partita No. 6, this DVD has it all.
In fact, when you watch Glenn play the Bouree of the English Suite #1, you
see him play several different versions back to back so fast that you would
swear they were from different pianists, they are so unlike in tempi,
phrasing, etc. Truly a remarkable collection.

The only drawback is that the transfer from original tapes is not perfect,
there are some colour problems and sound inconsistencies that are normal for
the 1970s, but this in no way detracts from this amazing DVD.

Now, for some reason I could not find this DVD either, the only way I could
get my copy is to bid on one on eBay. For some reason all the copies seem to
be emanating from sellers in Singapore. Let me recommend, however, an ebay
seller called "busyhubby" who promptly took my order and shipped me a copy
from Singapore. They're about $26-$28 US plus shipping, but I promise you
that you will not be disappointed. So everybody, fire up your web browsers
and surf over to eBay!!

Best regards,
Matthew