Re: composers playing their own concertos (was GG hagiography)

Agreed - entirely.

There is nothing wrong with having reverence for Bach
and his compeers - the music warrants it, but I abhor
the idea that such music can only be played in a
certain manner on period instruments.

My personal image of baroque music, specifically the
secular works, is that of a very free style and one
that encourages the performer to embelish on the
score. The classical and romantic periods may have
been more emotive and relaxed in content, but
generally the scores themselves seem far more strict
and the composers' intentions that much more apparent,
if not unavoidable.

Just as there is something to be gained from the
serious study of appropriate ornamentation and
"historical" performances, it is just as valid for
performers to bring something of themselves to the
music. I think this is something Gould did in spades,
and whilst there are some recordings of his that I
really can't abide, it is not a dislike that stems
from an inflexible attitude towards a particular
composer's music, but simply a matter of personal
taste.

Regards,

David