Re: composers playing their own concertos (was GG hagiography)

Leah Stanwyck wrote:
Yep, Eric!  As if saying every screenplay writer makes a good actor.  Their vision may need an alternate, more adept in _expression_ of it, voice to give it life, etc., etc.  Yet even every performer, as with Gould, might not be completely satisfied with Take 1 (or 2, or 20, for that matter!).   The 'old time' recording methods definitely had to use what modern technology would call 'creative means' to get a desired quality.  The technology available to Rachmaninov would be an equivalent today of trying to record an album using a hand-held Sony and a 4-track!  Yet I'm sure Sergei didn't have too many comparisons at the time to use as a quality yardstick!

Cheers!

Cline, Eric wrote:

I am not sure I agree that a composer's own performance / interpretation is always a perfect one. I think this is especially true for works recorded in the early part of the century. The earliest recordings often required that the piece be adjusted to the recording technology. Instrumentation frequently had to be adjusted so it could be heard on the recording. I read in Arthur Nikisch's recording of Beethoven's 5th symphony in 1914 that tubas or some other instrument had to double the cellos so they would register on the record.   Sometimes whole sections had to be removed in a movement so that it would fit in the time allotted for a recording. Tempi also sometimes had to be adjusted. Listen to Rachmaninov's recording of his own third piano concerto and you will find in each of the movements noticeable cuts in the measures.  So a recorded performance may not be ideal from the composer's standpoint rather a pragmatic one to enable their work access to a wider audience.

Eric Cline

Sr. R & D Chemist

Graphic Arts Synthesis Group

REICHHOLD, Inc.

Global Coating and Performance Resins

Phone Toll Free: 1-800-448-3482 ext.8116

e-mail: eric.cline@reichhold.com

http://www.reichhold.com

(Click here to go to the Reichhold home page)