From: Leah Stanwyck <lstanwyk@ryerson.ca>
To: Elmer Elevator <bobmer.javanet@RCN.COM>
Cc: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU <F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: _A_question_for_all_you_Gouldians

I'm not sure how random Glenn's talent really was - mother was a music teacher, distant relative to Greig, etc.  Some of the best pianists I know - although, mind you, this is not always the rule - had a musical parent.  Just a thought..........

Elmer Elevator wrote:
No, he wasn't a god.

But there really isn't a rational explanation for what he was.

No matter how hard we try, human beings can't create or design or educate someone like Gould. The best the best of us can do is nurture and encourage a child whom we recognize has that kind of talent and gift.

If there is a God, and a God who cares about communicating with us through the gifts of beauty, then Gould was one of those once-in-a-lifetime people whom God "touched" with very special, extra-human gifts.

I suppose you can be just as comfortable explaining such people as entirely mathematical random mutations -- a crap shoot, the equivalent of a car accident.

I find that enormously unsatisfying, intellectually and emotionally. How many car accidents end up improving your health, improving your car, improving your finances, and introducing you to the true love of your life?

The "point" of Shaffer's "Amadeus" was just this point of view -- that God, for reasons forever kept a mystery to us, "touches" the rare artist and elevates his/her gifts far beyond what mere practice, study, ambition and dedication can ever hope to produce. (Poor Solieri, it drove him insane.)

I can't begin to explain anything about this phenomenon, but I do find it very satisfying. I can't explain 16-year-old Billie Holiday's magical, deeply moving, almost entirely untutored, untrained gifts any other way. (Her brutal father, whom she loathed, was a very talented jazz guitarist.) I can't explain GG any other way. God wants to tell us that life is not all horror and meaninglessness and ugliness and fear; he has special gifts for us, gifts of extraordinary, magical beauty that come to us through a very special few of our relatives and neighbors.

Bob / Elmer