Perahia

Dear All,

I'm am forcing myself to join this conversation as a big fan of Perahia....I have noticed that especially in my musical conservatory people look at Perahia as a very "middle of the road" pianist....one who can always play "pretty" things, but who has very little (if any....) real musical content.....I must wholeheartedly disagree with this perception of him.

As a fan of his who has seen him live quite a few times, has most of his cd releases and has attended a masterclass, I can assure you that he is looking for more than structure in music....he is more than a lyrical pianist who can play pretty music...perhaps it is not one's own conception of the music....but that does not mean that he plays without intense feeling and emotion...we look at things from a very limited standpoint sometimes, and I suppose that that is natural...as we are human....we have opinions....I can not blame anyone for that .... however when we take our opinion as fact, and the only fact, as some of us do (me included...)....we most certainly are to blame.

I recently had a similar conversation with good friends of mine and we came to a conclusion....basically......who are we to judge?.....for a person to simply play all of the notes of a composer (which really is the minimum and the maximum that one has to do) is a great achievement in itself....but to put one's conception of the music together with all of those notes is nearly an impossible task....if you like something.....good......if not.....good........but don't judge intentions, when they are simply impossible to judge....

I have learned over the past few years that everyone has something to offer the music one plays.....it just isn't always so easy to see....as it is normally with GG.....let's admit...he's in your face...whether you like it or not....

While I do like certain things in Perahia's Goldbergs (ornamentation especially!!!)....I still prefer GG (over everyone, that is....there I go with my opinion again....darn...)....from the very first note of any of his four recordings....one senses a feeling of inner calm, of tranquility.....I guess of just being alive....in the best sense of just that......that first note, and how he attacks it  creates the entire performance for me.....

If anyone is interested in what I consider to be Perahia's best recordings, I will list them here:

1. Handel Suites in d-, F+, E+, Chaconne in G+
     Scarlatti Sonatas K. 27, 29, 206, 212, 247, 491, 537
2. Mendelssohn Sonata in E+, Variations in d-, Rondo
      Capriccioso, Prelude and Fugue e- (Op. 35 / 1)
3. Schubert 8 Impromptus (D. 899 and 935)
4. Schumann Concerto, 2 Concert Pieces (w/ Abbado)
5. Songs w/o Words: Mendelssohn, Schubert/Liszt, Bach/Busoni
6. Chopin 4 Impromptus, Barcarolle, Berceuse, Fantasie
7. Beethoven Op. 2 Piano Sonatas
8. Mozart Sonatas K. 310, 331, 533/494
9. Aldeburgh Recital: Beethoven WoO 80, Schumann Carnival Jest
     from Vienna, Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 12 and
     Consolation 3, Rachmanonoff Etudes Opp. 33/2, 39/5, 6, 9

more to come...I'm sure.....

I just love something that I read that Shura Cherkassky said once (and believe that Perahia could easily say the same):

"Some people like my playing, and some people perhaps don't like my playing, but I don't think anybody can call me boring."

Bravo....

Scott

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.