Re: GG Mystery Lover

Oh, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

No offense, Sara-Anne, but don't you think this entire mailing list
would have GG turning in his grave?

I don't think GG would care one iota about us speculating about his love
life (a topic, I think we all agree, that is natural to want to know
about).

HOWEVER, I think he would be incredibly uneasy about the fact that we
have all these rare recordings of him playing live concerts, practising
in his home, and performing when he did NOT know he was being recorded.
For instance, CBC broadcast a clip of him playing Couperin's Passacaglia
in b minor when he was 15 YEARS OLD (before his voice broke, for crying
out loud!). Both Sony and CBC Records dug up every single iota of
unreleased material they could and pressed CDs and video tapes galore
with material to which GG would have been vehemently opposed. But hey,
he's dead, he has no living close relatives, and we all benefit
immensely from this material. So I think it's a fair trade. And from
every Sony CD you purchase, a small amount makes its way to the
Salvation Army and Humane Society in Toronto (well, I really hope so, I
don't know for sure).

Any close friends have well respected his privacy to the point where we
don't even know if he had a girlfriend. AND THAT'S THE WAY GG WOULD WANT
IT. Go ahead and speculate all you want, but as long as GG maintained
his privacy, he was happy.

And yes, for crying out loud, I want to know if he had girlfriends! What
the heck, if I'm gonna hero worship someone, I'm going all the way! And
I'm an "old-timer", I've known about GG for years and years, but I want
to know!

I honestly feel that GG, like any normal human, had relationships,
wants, desires, unfulfilled dreams, etc., etc. But the closeness to his
mother, lack of normal social development, and oh yes, genius, means he
could never hope to grow up like normal children. As to the comment
someone made about never being able to find a mate, if he had connected
to the right person, she would have followed him to the ends of the
earth (as would he with her). That's what love is all about.
Unfortunately, given his life and schedule (he was playing symphony
orchestras at 14!) that's not going to happen. But it's enough for me to
know that he had a shot at it... (I know I would be far less of a person
right now without my wife).

So once and for all, it's OKAY to want to know about GG. Just don't post
anything truly distasteful, personally offensive, or obscene and we'll
all move on. Sure we all esteem him (well, most of us). But that doesn't
mean we can't want to know more, does it?

And Dell, if you're reading this, send me an email offline, would you?
There's a couple of questions I'd like to ask you...

Best regards,
Matthew