Re: Lawrence and Gould

Lainaus David Pelletier <PROMONDE@AOL.COM>:

> In a message dated 8/26/02 2:45:44 AM, goldbergs@TALK21.COM writes:
>
> << I have asked this before, but never received any answer; Are there
> other
> musicians that generate such passionate interest  and devotion as
> Glenn
> Gould? >>
>
> In another sphere: Pete Townshend and he is still amongst us!

I can easily imagine almost any musician of any significance generating
passionate interest and devotion: think of someone like Wagner and the number
of Wagner-societies around the world; or Bruckner and the very special
atmosphere that reigns in a concert where one of his symphonies is performed(I
can tell this from my own experience...); or Cage (pardon me for mentioning his
name) or Sorabji (someone with a predilection for doing and saying strange
things is likely to generate passionate interest and devotion among those of us
with a similar inclination).

I recently saw a documentary on H. von Karajan. It included an interview with
Seiji Ozawa. His reminiscence of Karajan testified to devotion which reminds me
of Bruckner's attitude towards Wagner. Or think of Sergiu Celibidache and
the "cult" that is now being erected to worship the Romanian master and the
musical happenings that EMI and DG are in the process of releasing in CD-format.

Examples could be easily multiplied...

anssi korhonen