From: Elmer Elevator <bobmer.javanet@RCN.COM>
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: nah, this is a sorta sweet competition
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 04:19:05 -0400

Hmmm ... as I said, I've had the pleasure of listening to this CBC radio
program for many pleasant hours while driving through Canada. They have a
wonderful selection of music and a wonderful way of soliciting the most
interesting and funny personal memoirs from listeners, experiences from
childhood, family relationships, love and romance. It's a very
gentle-spirited show that operates at a very cerebral level. It's radio at
its best -- an ideal and an aspiration GG would certainly have appreciated.

Yes, they're soliciting entrees for a short story competition on the theme
of GG.

But let's be fair -- this is not the kind of competing GG was unhappy about
or complaining about or opposed to.

Musical competitions, GG felt, debase music and the love of music, and turn
musicians into hostile competitors.

Very little of value is at stake in this competition -- some CDs, I think.
Mainly this guy is calling for a gentle-spirited and very personal
celebration of GG. I think it's a lovely idea. I suspect the stories will
be charming and full of GG's spirit and the spirit of the love of music.
I'm thinking of entering.

Think of it as a celebration of excellent Canadian radio, and I think you
can perceive GG's poshumous approval.