Re: GG and the Brandenburgs?

> - In the Baltimore performance, Gould plays a normal piano.  The orchestra
> is alert enough most of the time, phrases are decently shaped, but the
> last movement is deadly slow and thetic (in part due to Gould's
> interpretation, overdotting all the dotted figures instead of simply
> playing them as triplets).  Worse, in the first movement about a minute
> before the cadenza Gould has a disastrous memory slip and improvises some
> apologetic-sounding continuo chords until he's able to get back into the
> passagework.  It's almost a train wreck.

hehe, and I thought if one has a photographic sight memory GG presumably had, he
doesn't have memory slips. :)
Was it a live recording? If it's a studio recording, it's amazing for the
perfectionist-Gould to have a recording finished and published with such a huge
disaster.

Incidentally, I heard on the radio some days ago (can you imagine, even national
radios of such remote countries as Lithuania devote precious air time for the
long dead pianist? :) that GG interrupted his live performance once and asked to
close a window to stop the draught. Maybe you all know this lapsus already but I
simply remembered it when Bradley mentioned the "train wreck"...

Okay, I see it's not worthy to try to get GG's piano Brandenburgs but I'll
probably continue looking for other piano versions of the BWV1050. I like exotic
things :P.
BTW, the only other piano version of the violin-haprsichord sonatas - other than
Gould-Laredo - is, AFAIK,
Tanenbaum-Kapp. I haven't heard the names but the review at
http://www.jsbach.org/sonataspiano.html is so positive that I'm intrigued.

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://www.mp3.com/juozasrimas (oboe, piano, strings)