Solitude

Dear Elmer and all,

I see your point.  I'm not sure I agree with all you said.  Blocking out the noise of life sounds good.  Not certain Toronto is the place to do it.

Concert life sounds so grand.  In reality it must be the pits.
He was no more lonely than he wanted to be. If he'd wanted, hundreds of admiring people would have swarmed around him; he could have had a salon full of people if that was the kind of artistic and intellectual environment he wanted.

Right!

What some may see as Gould's loneliness and isolation was partially some very brave choices to protect his musical environment so he could concentrate on what he thought was important.

Agreed.

 I would grudgingly call it a strange life if someone could tell me what a normal life is, and what treasures await this normal life.

A wife perhaps?

James