James

From: Lluís Manent (Teleline)              <manent@TELELINE.ES>
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:07:54 +0200

Welcome to the List, James!

Nice to read your story!

Here an interesting question: What makes the difference between GG and many
many other world famous pianist that specially in the case of GG makes the
listener (me, you, etc.) deeply thrilled while listening for the first time
at GG performance?

Let's take an example: Imagine you're blank in the sense you've never
listened at Bach's WTC, the English Suites or the Golberg Variations.
Supose
you listen at WTC performed by Maria Joao Pires, the English Suites
performed by Dubravka Tomsic or the Golberg Variations performed by Andras
Schiff. You will never get the impression you will get by listening at the
same Work performed by GG.

This fine but important fact makes the difference between being fan of
Claudio Arrau, Pollini, Brendel, Pires, Pogorelich, Argerich, etc. and
being
"fan" (what a horrible word!) of GG. In the first cases "to be a fan"  is
more concert and glamour-related. In the case of GG is a love story which
has to do more with self-introspection.

And once again (as often commented in the list) : Michael Scheider's book
(Glenn Gould, piano solo) explains this fine feeling in a very accurate
way.

Regards,

Lluís Manent